Sunday, June 14, 2009

inFAMOUS Thoughts

First off, I have to say that I have not played the full version of inFAMOUS. I have played the demo from the Playstation Network a few times. Basically, inFAMOUS is the Force Unleashed meets Grand Theft Auto. The basic powers that you start out with are
-a quick lightning shot
-a lightning grenade
-a pulse of energy that throws things back from you
-a power that lets you glide through the air
-a way to drain power from electrical sources
-a way to heal others
-a power that lets you drain the life from others to heal yourself
-a power that restrains a wounded person to the ground

Through the course of the demo you unlock a power that is a lightning storm that travels from your character and can be controlled with the SixAxis.

So, here are my thoughts on the demo. First, it was a LOT of fun. The first time I played it, I slaughtered the masses mercilessly. I found it really hard to be a good person. Second to that, it's TOUGH. The game throws a whole lot of enemies at you and they almost all have guns. You have one long range ability that can compete with the guns. The problem is that I'm a bad shot.

It's really easy to expand how much energy reserve you have. All you have to do is pick up items scattered all over the map. The really nice thing about it is that you can detect them as long as they're close enough to be on your minimap. Another really cool thing is that your character is a gymnast when it comes to skating on train rails or electrical wires, and also when climbing just about anything.

There are two problems that I ran into that I really had problems with. First is is really difficult to tell how much damage you've taken an how much life you have left. The exception is when you are really close to death everything turns black and white, but at that point, it you don't heal quickly, it is likely that you will die quickly. The other problem is that sometimes it is too easy to skate or climb. A lot of times if you want to jump off of a ledge and get something close to the edge, you almost always automatically land on the ledge instead of falling down next to it.

Overall it's a really fun game with some problems. Most games have problems, so that's not too big a strike against it. I liked it, but I think it might be difficult to stay a good person. So if you have a PS3, I'd recommend that you download the demo and try it out before you buy the full game.

No comments:

Post a Comment